It was in Calcutta, in 1790, that the East India Company first began the trading business that would, by 1858, lead to its control over all of India.
Hamilton & Co. was the first British silversmith to set up shop in Calcutta.
The pieces they produced in Calcutta, mainly for British consumption, were of polished silver with smooth lines and minimal decoration.
Later on, in Bowanipore , a suburb of Calcutta, local silversmiths Grish Chunder Dutt, Dass & Dutt, and Goopee Nath Dutt created elaborately designed, repoussé scenes of Indian village and farming life, with human figures, animals, and trees.
Besitzer: The Claret Jug Collector
Inhalt: 7 Elemente